Founder, President & CEO of S&S Programming, Inc.
Keith Schuman graduated from Purdue University (West Lafayette, Indiana, campus) in 1983 with an associate's degree in agricultural economics. His coursework included agriculture and business instruction, and basic computer programming courses available at the time (for example: FORTRAN). The majority of his marketable computer skills have been self-taught.
As a student with a natural aptitude for computer programming, and a part-time laborer at a local swine facility,
Mr. Schuman perceived the opportunity to custom-develop software specifically to enhance profitability for swine operations. In 1981, as a sophomore at Purdue, he established S&S Programming, and was recruited by FBS Systems to develop a pioneering least-cost balanced feed ration program for farms. Subsequent projects merited early graduation and a full-time focus on developing customized computer programming solutions for a growing client base in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.
From the initial base of clients in these 3 states, Mr. Schuman
has grown S & S Programming, Inc. into the premier developer of
integrated Swine Records and Genetic Evaluation software in the
world. The Herdsman Swine Record Keeping system is
available in 7 languages and used in over 15 countries of the
S&S Programming, Inc., Today
- In 1980: Began development of swine record keeping software program which ultimately evolved into the branded Herdsman product incorporating the genetic calculations of Dr. Alan Schinkel of Purdue University, one of the industry's most accomplished swine geneticists.
- In 1981: Contracted by FBS Systems to develop the MicroMixer least-cost balanced feed ration program.
- In 1982: Developed Market Analyst Commodity Marketing Program.
- In 1983: Began development of CPA Computerized Personal Accountant for farms and small business offices.
- In 1985: Contracted by Agro Solutions to build Market Objective program, which optimizes cash, futures, and options marketing opportunities for producers.
- In 1987: Introduced CPA for Schools, with fund accounting capabilities. This program is now used in 800+ school corporations and offices nationwide.
- In 1989: Established BETA group of producers and breeders for rigorous development of nationally and globally recognized Herdsman program, the first of its kind to incorporate production data and genetic analysis to enhance productivity and profitability of swine operations.
- In 1991: Recruited to build the U.S. National Pedigree Registration Program for the eight largest swine breed associations in the nation.
- In 1995: Recruited to build the National Pedigree Registry Program for the American Shetland Pony Club, the American Miniature Horse Registry and the American Show Pony Registry.
- In 1999: Created the next generation of Purdue's STAGES program for the purebred swine industry, which allowed in-house nightly across herd calculations, making the most up-to-date, accurate information available to producers.
- In 1999: Recruited by National Pork Producers Council to create Pork Office, which integrates on-farm
production and financial records with the national pork database. Also served on several leadership committees for NPPC.
- In 2000: Hired by PIGCHAMP (competitive developer) to identify and fix "bugs" in their flagship software product
and version 4.05 and 4.07 were released based on these changes.
- In 2000: Partnered with Purdue University on a USDA-funded program to develop educational training schools to introduce successful swine data management applications into China.
- In 2001: Developed Illinois FBFM (Farm Business Farm Management Association) Windows-based program of comparative record analysis for 6,000+ Illinois operations.
This product is also used in Kentucky and Alabama.
- In 2002: Developed and marketed the Grand Champions software
program for 4-H County Fair Auctions.
- In 2003: Established a website for Chinese pork producers for comparative benchmarking using Herdsman records.
- In 2004: Partnered with Purdue University on a second USDA-funded training program, this time establishing swine record keeping schools in Vietnam.
- In 2004: Integrated Herdsman with CCSI (Canadian Centre for Swine Improvement) to allow integration of Canadian
swine producer records into their national database.
- In 2005: Added the Vietnamese language to the available
- In 2006: Added the Thai language to the available Herdsman
languages. Partnered with the Animal Health Division of
Bayer Vietnam to distribute the Herdsman Swine Records software
to commercial producers in Vietnam.
- In 2007: Added the Russian language to the available
The many products of S&S Programming are recognized around the country and around the world, thanks in
large part to their "user-friendly" image, appearance and functionality. Keith Schuman and the employee group
at S&S pride themselves on providing personal attention, customized solutions and a continually evolving product
line that includes upgrades for clients as each program is continually evaluated and enhanced to meet changing
professional requirements. For more information about S&S, please contact Keith Schuman directly at email@example.com.
Click here For more information about the new Herdsman data mining program.
Click here to fill out an online form for a free no obligation trial version of Herdsman.